I believe my first reaction to the final challenge was the following:
“Ginger biscuits? That’s it? Easy.”
Then they showed the icing design that they wanted on top. Then I went to Facebook:
“Well that’s me screwed #gbbofinal”
I don’t have the best track record with icing. It’s never elegant. It’s always messy. But you know what, what the hell? It was the last challenge; may as well give it a go. And if it all went wrong, I’d have ginger biscuits topped with icing. Can’t go wrong with that outcome.
The ginger biscuits themselves turned out great. I’ve made gingerbread before but I was interested in Prue’s edition, and the added black treacle really worked a treat. The only issue I really had was when I was rolling out the dough (after chilling) to cut into shapes. The dough was still far too sticky and kept griping to the work surface, so I had to dust with a lot more flour to make it more malleable.
Thankfully this didn’t affect the bake. The biscuits were firm and held their shape, but were nice and soft on the inside. They did lose their shape every so slightly when they came out of the oven, but for some I just trimmed the edges to neaten them up, even if Prue would have frowned at the prospect.
The icing though, that’s a different story. I did try! I promise you, but I have no idea how they managed it. I had a thin, precision nozzle for my piping bag, but I could not for the life of me control it. You can see my attempt at the square design below, but for the ovals, I didn’t have a chance. The icing ran into each other, losing what little design I had managed to achieve and having taken so long to get that far, I thought f**k it, I’ll improvise.
Which is why mine are multi-coloured and beautiful!
I think they look pretty damn good, and taste pretty good too. Give me one of these any day. There was no method to it. I literally just piped the white icing and let it fall where it fell. In a strange way because I wasn’t following a design, they looked intentional. For the multi-coloured ones (including the Christmas-like trees), I simply used a teaspoon to flick the icing over the biscuit, layered it up with different colours and using a cocktail stick, drew lines down it to give it that final pattern.
They would definetly not have got me into the final, but I’m ok with that. Piping has never been my strong suit and this week was always going to be tricky. But over the past 10 weeks I have achieved bakes I never thought I’d be able to do and I’m pretty damn proud with myself. At the end of the road, I thought it would be better to simply have a bit of fun.
And that’s that. I hope to write a closing post for this year’s challenge, reviewing the bakes across the 10 weeks and ranking which one was the best and worst.
Until then, I am always looking for new things to try. It doesn’t matter what it is, if you have a recipe that I can make, get in touch or leave a comment below.
Expect more baking posts throughout the year.
Until then, that’s a wrap.